Contemporary Clinical Dentistry
   
  Home | About us | Editorial board | Search
Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Advertise
Instructions | Online submission| Contact us | Subscribe |

 

Login  | Users Online: 362  Print this pageEmail this pageSmall font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size 

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 205-210

A comparative evaluation of antimicrobial efficacy of novel surfactant-based endodontic irrigant Regimen's on Enterococcus faecalis


1 Department of Restorative Dental Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Al Baha University, Al Bahah, Saudi Arabia
2 Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, ABSMIDS, NITTE University, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
3 Department of Microbiology, ABSMIDS, NITTE University, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
4 Department of Biochemistry, ABSMIDS, NITTE University, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
5 Department of Basic Dental Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Al Baha University, Al Bahah, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Manikandan Ravinanthanan
Department of Restorative Dental Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Al Baha University, Al Bahah
Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_360_20

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Irrigants play an important role in the eradication of microorganisms in the complex root canal system. Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), chlorhexidine (CHX), and iodine potassium iodide (IKI) have certain limitations despite their routine clinical use. Surfactant irrigants with antimicrobial properties can be a milestone in endodontics to overcome the drawbacks of conventional irrigants. The aim of this study was to evaluate the antimicrobial efficacy of surfactants in comparison with routine endodontic irrigants on Enterococcus faecalis. Materials and Methods: Primary irrigants NaOCl, CHX, IKI were prepared at concentrations of 5%, 2.5%, 2%, and 1%; while mixture of tetracycline acid and detergent (MTAD) (100%) served as control group. Surfactants such as cetrimide (CTR) and sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) were prepared at concentrations of 0.5%, 1%, and 2%. The direct contact assay was used to evaluate the antimicrobial efficacy after 5 min. Statistical analysis was performed using one-way ANOVA and Mann–Whitney U-test. Results: In the primary group, only 5% CHX was significant over MTAD (P < 0.05). In the surfactant group, all concentrations of CTR and SDS (except 0.5%) were significant (P < 0.05) in killing E. faecalis over MTAD. Two percent CHX in combination with 0.5% CTR and 1% SDS had an effective kill percentage over 2% CHX and MTAD alone. Conclusion: Surfactant irrigant regimens can be used as adjuncts with CHX to overcome its clinical limitations and potentiate its substantivity, thereby enhancing clinical success in endodontics.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed814    
    Printed46    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded148    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal